Last modified: October 12, 2020
Please also read Bridgefy’s Terms and Conditions (“Terms”), which describes the terms under which you use our Services. Please note that by using our Services, you’re also agreeing to the Bridgefy App Terms and Conditions.
We offer end-to-end encryption for our Services, which is on by default, when you and the people with whom you message use a version of our app released after October 12, 2020. End-to-end encryption means that your messages are encrypted to protect against us and third parties from reading them. We utilize the Signal Protocol encryption libraries, which are open-source, and whose License can be found here.
Security Information We Collect
Bridgefy receives or collects information when we operate and provide our Services, including when you install, access, or use our Services.
Information You Provide
- Your Account Information. You provide your mobile phone number to create a Bridgefy account. You provide us the phone numbers in your mobile address book on a regular basis, including those of both the users of our Services and your other contacts. You confirm you are authorized to provide us such numbers. You may also add other information to your account, such as a profile name, profile picture, and status message.
- Your Messages. We do not retain your messages in the ordinary course of providing our Services to you. Once your messages (including your chats, photos, videos, voice messages, files, and share location information) are delivered, they are deleted from our servers. Your messages are stored on your own device. If a message cannot be delivered immediately (for example, if you are offline), we may keep it on our servers for up to 30 days as we try to deliver it. If a message is still undelivered after 30 days, we may delete it. To improve performance and deliver media messages more efficiently, such as when many people are sharing a popular photo or video, we may retain that content on our servers for a longer period of time.
- Your Connections. To help you organize how you communicate with others, we may create a favorites list of your contacts for you, and you can create, join, or get added to groups and broadcast lists, and such groups and lists get associated with your account information.
- Customer Support. You may provide us with information related to your use of our Services, including copies of your messages, and how to contact you so we can provide you customer support. For example, you may send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with information relating to our app performance or other issues.
Automatically Collected Information
- Usage and Log Information. We collect service-related, diagnostic, and performance information. This includes information about your activity (such as how you use our Services, how you interact with others using our Services, and the like), log files, and diagnostic, crash, and performance logs and reports.
- Device and Connection Information. We collect device-specific information when you install, access, or use our Services. This includes information such as hardware model, operating system information, browser information, IP address, mobile network information including phone number, and device identifiers. We collect device location information if you use our location features, such as when you choose to share your location with your contacts, view locations nearby or those others have shared with you, and the like, and for diagnostics and troubleshooting purposes such as if you are having trouble with our app’s location features.
- Information Others Provide About You. We receive information other people provide us, which may include information about you. For example, when other users you know use our Services, they may provide your phone number from their mobile address book (just as you may provide theirs), or they may send you a message, send messages to groups to which you belong, or call you.
- Third-Party Providers. We work with third-party providers to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. For example, we work with companies to distribute our apps, provide our infrastructure, delivery, and other systems, supply maps and places information, help us understand how people use our Services, and market our Services. These providers may provide us information about you in certain circumstances; for example, app stores may provide us reports to help us diagnose and fix service issues.
- Third-Party Services. We allow you to use our Services in connection with third-party services. If you use our Services with such third-party services, we may receive information about you from them. Please note that when you use third-party services, their own terms and privacy policies will govern your use of those services.
How We Use Information
We use all the information we have to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
- Safety and Security. We may verify accounts and activity, and promote safety and security on and off our Services, such as by investigating suspicious activity or violations of our Terms, and to ensure our Services are being used legally.
- Commercial Messaging. We will allow you and third parties, like businesses, to communicate with each other using Bridgefy, such as through order, transaction, and appointment information, delivery and shipping notifications, product and service updates, and marketing. For example, you may receive flight status information for upcoming travel, a receipt for something you purchased, or a notification when a delivery will be made. Messages you may receive containing marketing could include an offer for something that might interest you. We do not want you to have a spammy experience; as with all of your messages, you can manage these communications, and we will honor the choices you make.
Information You And We Share
You share your information as you use and communicate through our Services, and we share your information to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
- Account Information. Your phone number, profile name and photo, online status and status message, last seen status, and receipts may be available to anyone who uses our Services.
- Your Contacts and Others. Users with whom you communicate may store or reshare your information (including your phone number or messages) with others on and off our Services. You can use your Services settings and the block feature in our Services to manage the users of our Services with whom you communicate and certain information you share.
- Third-Party Providers. We work with third-party ad-service providers to help us operate and provide ads within the Bridgefy App.
- Third-Party Services. When you use third-party services that are integrated with our Services, they may receive information about what you share with them. For example, if you use a service integrated with our Services, they will receive information about what you share with them. If you interact with a third-party service linked through our Services, you may be providing information directly to such third parties. Please note that when you use third-party services, their own terms and privacy policies will govern your use of those services. We may deploy AdMob advertising on some/all of our mobile apps, where it may use an anonymous identifier, a random string of characters that is used for the same purposes as a cookie on platforms including certain mobile devices, where cookie technology is not available. AdMob is an advertising service provided by Google, Inc. through which third parties may be using cookies, web beacons, and other technologies to collect information and usage data as a result of ad serving. We do not use AdMob’s optional GPS/location-based ad targeting. Google may use the information that it obtains via the third party cookies, web beacons, and other technologies used in connection with AdMob accordance with its advertising Privacy Policies. You can visit these third party websites to opt out of cookies for interest based advertising or opt out by visiting www.aboutcookies.org You can also view Admob’s Terms And Conditions here.
Assignment, Change Of Control, And Transfer
Managing Your Information
If you would like to manage, change, limit, or delete your information, we allow you to do that through the following tools:
- Deleting Your Bridgefy Account. You may delete your Bridgefy account at any time (including if you want to revoke your consent to our use of your information) using our in-app delete my account feature. When you delete your Bridgefy account, your undelivered messages are deleted from our servers as well as any of your other information we no longer need to operate and provide our Services. Be mindful that if you only delete our Services from your device without using our in-app “log out” feature, your information may be stored with us for a longer period. Please remember that when you delete your account, it does not affect the information other users have relating to you, such as their copy of the messages you sent them.
Law And Protection
We may collect, use, preserve, and share your information if we have a good-faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond pursuant to applicable law or regulations, to legal process, or to government requests; (b) enforce our Terms and any other applicable terms and policies, including for investigations of potential violations; (c) detect, investigate, prevent, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our users, Bridgefy, or others.
Our Global Operations
Updates To Our Policy
California Consumer Privacy Act
This section explains how we collect, use, and share your Personal Information and how to exercise your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
- What is Personal Information and what does Bridgefy collect?
For this Notice, “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you. Personal Information does not include information that is aggregated, de-identified or information that cannot be reasonably linked to you. To provide our Services, we must process some information about you, including Personal Information.
Information You Provide
Your Account Information. You provide your mobile phone number to create a Bridgefy account. You may also add other information to your account, such as a profile name, profile photos with faces in them if you choose to provide them, and status messages.
Your Messages. Your messages are stored on your own device. If a message cannot be delivered immediately, we may keep it on our servers for up to 30 days as we try to deliver it. If a message is still undelivered after 30 days, we delete it.
Customer Support. You may provide us with information related to your use of our Services, including copies of your messages, and how to contact you so we can provide you customer support.
Usage and Log Information. We collect service-related, diagnostic, and performance information. This includes information about your activity (such as how you use our Services, how you interact with others using our Services), log files, and reports.
Device and Connection Information. We collect device-specific information when you install, access, or use our Services. This includes information such as hardware model, operating system information, browser information, IP address, mobile network information, and device identifiers. We also collect device location information if you use our location features, such as when you choose to share your location with your contacts, view locations nearby or those others have shared with you, and for diagnostics and troubleshooting purposes.
Status Information. We collect information about your online and status message changes on our Services, such as whether you are online (your “online status”), when you last used our Services (your “last seen status”), and when you last updated your status message.
Other Sources of Information
Information Others Provide About You. We may receive information about you from other users of our Services, such as if they send you a message or call you.
Service Providers. We sometimes work with Service Providers, such as when they use research to improve, understand, customize, and market our Services.
- How do we use Personal Information?
III. How is Personal Information shared?
You share the information you provide as you use and communicate through our Services, and we share each category of your Personal Information for business purposes to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
Service Providers. Our Service Providers help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. For example, we work with companies to distribute our app, provide our infrastructure, delivery, and other systems, supply maps and places information, help us understand how people use our Services, and market our Services. When we share information with our Service Providers, we require them to use your information in accordance with our instructions and terms or with express permission from you.
Legal Process Requests. We may share your information with law enforcement or other third parties in connection with legal requests.
- How can you exercise your rights under the CCPA?
Under the CCPA, you have the right to access the Personal Information we’ve collected about you during the past 12 months and information about our data practices. You also have the right to request that we delete the Personal Information that we have collected from you.
You can learn how to access, manage, and delete your Personal Information by contacting us via email, at email@example.com To request manual access or deletion of your Personal Information, please contact us.
Please note, for all manual requests, you will need to verify your identity by providing us with the following information:
Your full name
Your email address
Your Bridgefy phone number
Your phone model
The software version of your phone’s operating system
Whether you are a California consumer pursuant to Cal. Civ. Code Sec. 1798.140(g)
If you would like to know the specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about you, or to delete your Personal Information, you will need to provide the following additional information to verify your identity:
A phone bill or similar proof of ownership of the Bridgefy number.
Bridgefy will not be able to respond to your request unless you provide us with all of the above information. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a manual request on your behalf. If you decide to use an authorized agent, please also include written permission that you have designated that agent to make this request, or proof of the agent’s power of attorney. We may also follow-up with you to verify your identity before processing your authorized agent’s request.
Lastly, you have the right to be free from any discrimination for exercising your rights to access or delete your Personal Information. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
If you have additional questions about this Notice or how to exercise your rights under the CCPA, please contact us.
Notice to all users regardless of geographical location
Bridgefy, Inc. and its servers used to provide the Services are operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that your information, including your personal data, may be transferred to, processed, maintained, and used on computers, servers, and systems located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to use the Website, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent to such transfer, processing, and use in the United States and elsewhere.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Data you provide to us and we understand that you have the right to access, correct, delete, object to and restrict our use of your Personal Data. We also understand that you have the right to obtain a copy of your Personal Data from us and to withdraw your consent of the processing of your Personal Data by us. Please note that the rights set forth in this Section apply globally to all Visitors and Customers, whether or not you are a California resident or a resident of the European Union, United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway or Iceland. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your Personal Data:
You may choose not to provide Personal Data through our Services or when you register for the Product, in which case Bridgefy, Inc. may not be able to provide certain services to you or respond to your requests.
You can access, review and change your Personal Data by logging into your account on the Services and visiting your account profile page. You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any Personal Data that you have provided to us. In some cases, we may not be able to delete your Personal Data except by also deleting your user account.
If you do not wish to have your email address or other contact information used by us to promote our own products or services, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may unsubscribe to receive future emails via the unsubscribe link. The opt out specified above does not apply to information provided to us as a result of a purchase, product service experience or other transactions.
You may also request a copy of your Personal Data that you have provided to us directly by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide you a copy of your Personal Data in a commonly used electronic form.
Please note to exercise the rights set forth above we will ask you to: (1) provide sufficient information to allow us to verify that you are the person about whom we have collected Personal Data, and (2) describes request in sufficient detail to allow us to understand, evaluate, and respond to it. Each request that meets both of these criteria will be considered a “Valid Request.” We may not respond to requests that do not meet these criteria. We will only use Personal Data provided in a Valid Request to verify you and complete your request. You do not need an account to submit a Valid Request.
We will work to respond to your Valid Request within 30 days of receipt. We will not charge you a fee for making a Valid Request unless your Valid Request(s) is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that your Valid Request warrants a fee, we will notify you of the fee and explain that decision before completing your request. You may submit a Valid Request using the following methods:
- Emailing us at email@example.com
- Writing a letter to the address at the end of this page
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the GDPR, CCPA or other applicable data privacy laws or regulations. We will not deny you our goods or services, charge you different prices or rates, or provide you a lower quality of goods and services if you exercise your rights under the GDPR, CCPA or other applicable data privacy laws or regulations.
A cookie is a small text file that a website you visit asks your browser to store on your computer or mobile device.
- To provide our Services that are web-based, mobile-based, improve your experiences, understand how our Services are being used, and customize our Services;
- To understand which of our FAQs are most popular and to show you relevant content related to our Services;
- to remember your choices, such as your language preferences, and otherwise to customize our Services for you; and
- to rank the FAQs on our website based on popularity, understand mobile versus desktop users of our web-based Services, or understand popularity and effectiveness of certain of our web pages.
How to control cookies
You can follow the instructions provided by your browser or device (usually located under “Settings” or “Preferences”) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you set your browser or device to disable cookies, certain of our Services may not function properly.
Please review the following documents, which provide additional information about your use of our Services: